Minority Teachers of Illinois (MTI) Scholarship Program
(last updated December 2, 2016)
The TESP Qualification process begins with the completion of an initial certification. The 2016-17 Initial Qualification process for the Minority Teachers of Illinois (MTI) Scholarship program began on June 14, 2016. Be sure to access the TESP Student Certifications: List at My Zone regularly to learn the qualification status of applicants from your college.
- If the college certified a student as eligible for an MTI award, the “Complete” column will be checked and a status code of "Q" will display in the Status column on the Student Certifications: List in My Zone. Corrections cannot be made online at My Zone after an eligible record has been qualified. Requests to correct qualified records must be submitted to ISAC.
- If the college certified a student as ineligible for an MTI award, a Notice of Ineligibility is sent to the applicant. The Complete column will be checked and a status code of "U" will display in the Status column on the Student Certifications: List in My Zone. If a student subsequently meets the eligibility criteria or an incorrect eligibility reason was initially entered, (i.e., not attending at least half-time etc.) the Certification can be corrected online and resubmitted via My Zone.
Refer to the Student Certification Entry Instructions to learn about submitting a certification, obtain a complete list of the status codes returned after a certification record is processed and making corrections before and after a record has been qualified.
MTI Initial Certification records for the 2016-17 academic year can be completed online and submitted electronically to ISAC via My Zone beginning May 9, 2016. My Zone is available to enter certification information each Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. until 7 p.m. (CT). Results are available in real-time. No changes were made to the MTI online certification process for the 2016-17 academic year.
An Initial Certification record is created in My Zone when the student’s MTI Application is complete. All Initial Certifications available in My Zone must be completed regardless of whether the school certifies a student as eligible or ineligible. The only way an applicant will receive one of the Notification letters is if the Initial Certification is submitted via My Zone. Be sure to continue completing and submitting initial certifications throughout the year, in order to ensure that students will be included in all rounds of awarding that take place. The first round of awarding for the 2016-17 MTI Scholarship Program will be announced after the FY17 budget is finalized.
An overview of the online Certification process, instructions to enter and submit certifications to ISAC and how to request a report can be found in the TESP Certification area of My Zone. An overview of the certification process for MTI is available within this section.
Applications for the 2016-17 Minority Teachers of Illinois (MTI) Scholarship Program are no longer being accepted. The 2017-18 MTI application will be available by mid-December 2016.
Each year, colleges are required to verify the enrollment statuses for recipients in the programs* with teaching requirements and practice agreements. Verification of enrollment status is required for all recipients who, according to our records, previously received funds from the following ISAC-administered teacher education programs and may have been enrolled at your institution during the 2015-16 academic year.
- Illinois Optometric Education Scholarship Program (IOESP)
(OESP Awards are available only for students attending the Illinois College of Optometry)
- Minority Teachers or Illinois (MTI) Scholarship Program
- Special Education Teacher Tuition Waiver (SETTW) Program
* Note that, while the Illinois Future Teacher Corps (IFTC) Program and Nurse Educator Scholarship Program (NESP) options continue to appear in the drop-down list at My Zone, there is no data for these programs and the options will be removed from the system next year.
Beginning July 6, 2016, TESP Enrollment Status Verification must be completed online via the My Zone portal and submitted to ISAC on or before August 31, 2016. Data should be reported based on each student's last date of enrollment in the required teaching program, regardless of whether that date falls within the 2015-16 academic year or the current 2016-17 academic year. If a student remains enrolled in the required teaching program for 2016-17, indicate such with the “In School” status; those students will continue to appear on future online rosters. Colleges must also complete the 2015-16 Tuition Waiver Conversion Form (TWCF) for each SETTW recipients listed on the SETTW Enrollment Status Verification online roster.
Only enrollment status verification rosters and the SETTW TWCF for 2015-16 recipients are available at My Zone (i.e., 2014-15 rosters have been removed). Enrollment status verification data is available to be updated only if the roster has not yet been submitted to ISAC. If enrollment status verification or TWCF data that has already been submitted (for the current or previous academic years) needs to be changed, contact the School Services Department.
Refer to the Program Requirements/Practice Agreement page within in the Gift Assistance area for each of the programs listed above for details about the teaching requirement, extensions, deferments and repayment. Refer to TESP Enrollment Status Verification at My Zone, for information about the online process and the TESP Enrollment Status Verification Quick Reference Guide for step-by-step instructions on completing and submitting a roster to ISAC.
To access general information about the MTI program, click on one of the links in the right-hand menu. To access the page within the MTI section that addresses the topics listed below, click on the topic.