Minority Teachers of Illinois (MTI) Scholarship Program
(last updated June 12, 2015)
The TESP Qualification process begins with the completion of an initial certification. The 2015-16 Initial Qualification process for the Minority Teachers of Illinois (MTI) Scholarship program began on April 1, 2015. Be sure to access the TESP Student Certifications: List at My Zone regularly to learn the qualification status of applicants from your college.
- If the college certified a student as eligible for an MTI award, the “Complete” column will be checked and a status code of "Q" will display in the Status column on the Student Certifications: List in My Zone. Corrections cannot be made online at My Zone after an eligible record has been qualified. Requests to correct qualified records must be submitted to ISAC.
- If the college certified a student as ineligible for an MTI award, a Notice of Ineligibility is sent to the applicant. The Complete column will be checked and a status code of "U" will display in the Status column on the Student Certifications: List in My Zone. If a student subsequently meets the eligibility criteria or an incorrect eligibility reason was initially entered, (i.e., not attending at least half-time etc.) the Certification can be corrected online and resubmitted via My Zone.
Refer to the Student Certification Entry Instructions to learn about submitting a certification, obtain a complete list of the status codes returned after a certification record is processed and making corrections before and after a record has been qualified.
MTI Initial Certification records for the 2015-16 academic year can be completed online and submitted electronically to ISAC via My Zone beginning April 1, 2015. My Zone is available to enter certification information each Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. until 7 p.m. (CT). Results are available in real-time. No changes were made to the MTI online certification process for the 2015-16 academic year.
An Initial Certification record is created in My Zone when the student’s MTI Application is complete. All Initial Certifications available in My Zone must be completed regardless of whether the school certifies a student as eligible or ineligible. The only way an applicant will receive one of the Notification letters is if the Initial Certification is submitted via My Zone. Be sure to continue completing and submitting initial certifications throughout the year, in order to ensure that students will be included in all rounds of awarding that take place (the first round of awarding for the 2015-16 MTI Scholarship Program is anticipated to take place during the summer of 2015).
An overview of the online Certification process, instructions to enter and submit certifications to ISAC and how to request a report can be found in the TESP Certification area of My Zone. An overview of the certification process for MTI is available within this section.
The online interactive application for the 2015-16 Minority Teachers of Illinois (MTI) Scholarship Program is available to students. Although the priority application consideration date for the 2015-16 academic year was March 1, 2015, complete applications received after this date will continue to be considered for the MTI Scholarship Program - on a first-come, first-served basis - for as long as funding remains after all timely qualified applicants have been awarded. Only applicants with a valid digital IS from the state of Illinois will be able to access the online application. Once the online application has been successfully submitted, a Confirmation page will display to verify the exact date and time it was received by ISAC and may be printed by the applicant. Applicants who are unable to apply on line should contact a Call Center Representative at 800.899.4722 for assistance.
To assist you with questions you receive from students regarding the MTI application process, refer to the pages within the Minority Teachers of Illinois (MTI) Application section of the Student & Parent area of the ISAC website.
The Application Procedures for MTI page within this section (FAA area), includes details about the application process, instructions to obtain a digital signature and links to the application acknowledgment letters.
The FY2015 appropriation for the Minority Teachers of Illinois Scholarship Program is $2.5 million.
As announced in a September 11 e-Message TESP payment request rosters for MTI and Golden Apple Scholars of Illinois can be completed online and submitted electronically to ISAC via TESP Payment Online at My Zone. Results for payment requests received will be available via TESP Payment Authorization at My Zone on the first Tuesday after vouchers have been generated and the corresponding Voucher Numbers are entered into the My Zone system by ISAC staff. Colleges are encouraged to check My Zone every Tuesday morning for new payment results.
The payment processing cycle for the 2014-15 academic year is as follows:
- TESP Payment Online consists of two components: TESP Payment Request Roster and TESP Payment Authorization. TESP Payment Request roster data is currently available at My Zone for the MTI and the Golden Apple Scholarship Programs.
- Once payment authorization has taken place and vouchers have been mailed to colleges, there may be a delay in vouchers being paid by the State Comptroller's Office. Refer to the State Comptroller's Website page, located within the Processes section of the FAAs area, for information on how to track payment
- TESP payment roster data will be generated each Wednesday night and available at TESP Payment Online every Thursday morning.
- Each week, results for payment requests submitted on or before Monday will be available at My Zone the following Tuesday.
- The history of all payment requests for all the academic year is available to colleges online, minimizing the need to print and retain hard copies of the rosters.
- The TESP Payment Online system is available each Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. until 7 p.m. (CT).
Refer to the TESP Payment Request Roster and the TESP Payment Authorization pages at TESP My Zone for details about the TESP Payment Roster process, instructions for completing and submitting payment request rosters to ISAC and how to view, save and print payment results. General information regarding the payment process can also be found in the Gift Assistance area for each program.
Each year, colleges are required to verify the enrollment statuses for recipients in the programs with teaching requirements and practice agreements. Verification of 2013-14 enrollment status is required for all recipients who, according to our records, previously received funds from the following ISAC-administered teacher education programs and may have been enrolled at your institution during the 2013-14 academic year.
ISAC monitors recipients’ fulfillment of the program requirements for:
- Illinois Future Teacher Corps (IFTC) Program
- Illinois Optometric Education Scholarship Program (IOESP)
(OESP Awards are available only for students attending the Illinois College of Optometry)
- Minority Teachers or Illinois (MTI) Scholarship Program
- Nurse Educator Scholarship Program (NESP)
- Special Education Teacher Tuition Waiver (SETTW) Program
The TESP Enrollment Status Verification rosters can be completed online via the My Zone portal, which is available each Monday through Saturday from 7 a.m. until 7 p.m. (CT). Only 2013-14 enrollment status verification rosters are available at My Zone (i.e., 2012-13 rosters have been removed). The completed TESP Enrollment Status Verification rosters and SETTW Tuition Waiver Conversion Forms (TWCF) must be submitted electronically via My Zone on or before December 22, 2014.
Refer to the Program Requirements/Practice Agreement page within in the Gift Assistance area for each of the programs listed above for details about the teaching requirement, extensions, deferments and repayment. Refer to TESP Enrollment Status Verification at My Zone, for information about the online process and the TESP Enrollment Status Verification Quick Reference Guide for step-by-step instructions on completing and submitting a roster to ISAC.
To access general information about the MTI program, click on one of the links in the right-hand menu. To access the page within the MTI section that addresses the topics listed below, click on the topic.