2020-21 MAP Start-up Formula Approved
Unless otherwise noted, links in this message are to corresponding pages at the Illinois Student Assistance Commission (ISAC) website (isac.org).
The following highlights some of the agenda items included at the September 12, 2019 meeting of the Illinois Student Assistance Commission, and any action taken. Details regarding several of the topics discussed at the meeting are provided in the September 12 Agenda Book, which can be accessed from the ISAC's Governing Board: The Commission section of the About ISAC area.
FY2021 (2020-21 Academic Year) MAP Start-up Formula Approved – Agenda Item 6
Because the fiscal year 2020-21 (FY2021) state budget process has not yet begun, when developing the proposed start-up formula, staff assumes that the Monetary Award Program (MAP) will receive $451.3 million, which is level with the FY2020 appropriation. Following the FY2020 recompute formula, staff recommended and the Commission approved using FY2010 tuition and fees and no reduction factor for 2020-21 academic year MAP grants (with a maximum award $5,340.00). The approved start-up formula is outlined in Table Four of Agenda Item 6, and may also be found in the MAP section within the ISAC Gift Assistance Programs area of ISAC's website. Operational details regarding implementation of the FY2021 MAP start-up formula will be communicated in a future e-Message from ISAC.
Recent Legislative Action Affecting 2020-21 MAP
The following recent legislative action will affect MAP processing in FY2021:
- Priority Deadline Date for Renewal MAP Recipients – Public Act 100-0823 stipulates that, beginning with the 2020-21 academic year, renewal MAP recipients (i.e., students who received MAP funds during the prior academic year and continue to meet all eligibility requirements) who submit their Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA®) by that academic year's priority deadline date will receive priority consideration for appropriated MAP funds. The 2020-21 priority deadline date for renewal MAP recipients will be announced prior to October 1, 2019.
- Retention of Illinois Students and Equity (RISE) Act – Effective January 1, 2020:
- Illinois residents who are not eligible for federal student aid may apply for state financial aid. An Illinois-specific online application – an alternative to the FAFSA – will be available on January 1, 2020, to be used for MAP grant consideration.
- The 75 MAP Paid Credit Hours (MPCH) cap, which was adopted in FY2005 and required all MAP recipients to attain junior status before receiving more than 75 MPCHs, will be eliminated.
Encourage Students to Submit 2020-21 FAFSA after October 1
Given the likelihood that 2020-21 MAP award announcements will need to be suspended at some point during the processing cycle, colleges are reminded to encourage students to submit the 2020-21 FAFSA as soon as possible after it becomes available on October 1, 2019.
The following additional items were presented to the Commission:
- 2020 Meeting Dates and Locations – Agenda Item 1A
- State Legislative Update – Agenda Item 5
- Proposed Administrative Rules Amendments – Agenda Items 7 (AIM HIGH) and 8 (RISE Act)
The next Commission meeting is scheduled to take place on Thursday, December 5, 2019.
You are receiving this message because you registered for ISAC's e-Messaging service through one or more subscription groups for FAAs.
If you have any questions regarding this e-Message, please contact ISAC's School Services Department by calling toll free at 866.247.2172 or sending an e-mail message to firstname.lastname@example.org.