2020-21 MAP Start-up Implementation
Unless otherwise noted, links in this message are to corresponding pages at the Illinois Student Assistance Commission (ISAC) website (isac.org).
2020-21 Monetary Award Program (MAP) data – reflecting the start-up formula that was approved at the September 12, 2019 Commission meeting – is now available to access via the MAP system. All 2020-21 Institutional Student Information Records (ISIRs) received by ISAC through (including) Monday, October 7, 2019 are available with their accompanying eligibility status information, and daily processing of 2020-21 ISIR and eligibility status information has commenced.
- Following the 2019-20 MAP recompute formula, the 2020-21 start-up formula uses 2009-10 tuition and fees and has no reduction factor (maximum award is $5,340.00).
- The MAP component of the ISAC Gift Assistance Programs (GAP) Access portal works best using Internet Explorer 8.0 or higher.
- The GAP Access portal, including the MAP system, is available each day between the hours of 7 a.m. and 10 p.m. (CT).
More Information Available Online
- The MAP section within the ISAC Gift Assistance Programs area has been updated with the 2020-21 start-up formula, including 2020-21 Hand Calculation Forms – Start-up.
- 2020-21 MAP 160 Byte File Layout Specifications may be accessed via the Electronic Tools area of the e-Library for Partners.
- Refer to the recent 2020-21 MAP Updates e-Message for details regarding the following:
- The 2020-21 priority deadline date for renewal MAP recipients – the date on or before which eligible students who received MAP funds during the 2019-20 academic year must submit the 2020-21 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA®) in order to receive priority access to appropriated MAP funds – is Sunday, December 1, 2019.
- The 2020-21 MAP required school-issued award notification language reflects elimination of the 75 MAP Paid Credit Hours cap, which takes effect on January 1, 2020.
- Be sure to regularly visit the FAA Message Board and the MAP Program News page for new updates, and watch for future e-Messages from ISAC.
Notification to Applicants
- Colleges are required to announce MAP awards to eligible students enrolled at their institutions.
- Refer to the MAP Award Announcements page for details regarding college requirements, as well as samples of the required award letter language (as referenced above, under "More Information Available Online") and ISAC-generated notifications.
- ISAC will mail letters only to students who are in a default status on an ISAC-guaranteed student loan.
- A copy of the Default Resolution Options document, outlining how to regain federal and state student aid eligibility, is enclosed with each Default Status notification.
- Notifications are dated and mailed after ISAC processes ISIRs.
- Given the likelihood that 2020-21 MAP award announcements will need to be suspended at some point during the processing cycle, it is recommended that colleges remind students to submit the 2020-21 FAFSA – which became available on October 1 – as soon as possible.
- Encourage your students to visit the ISAC Student Portal to access these helpful resources:
- MAP Estimator (located in the Toolbox area) – students planning to attend an Illinois college may use this tool to get an idea of their eligibility for the MAP grant, and
- MAP Paid Credit Hours Display (located in the ISAC Programs area) – MAP grant recipients may use this option to track the number of MAP Paid Credit Hours they have used to date.
"Get to Know MAP" Video Updated for 2020-21 Academic Year
ISAC's "Get to Know the Monetary Award Program (MAP)" video, which may be accessed via the Students & Parents – MAP page and the "Featured" section of the ISAC website home page, has been updated for the 2020-21 academic year. Be sure your students know this resource is available to view online.
You are receiving this message because you registered for ISAC's e-Messaging service through one or more subscription groups for FAAs.
If you have any questions regarding this e-Message, please contact ISAC's School Services Department by calling toll free at 866.247.2172 or sending an e-mail message to firstname.lastname@example.org.