2020-21 MAP, MTI and Golden Apple Updates
Unless otherwise noted, links in this message are to corresponding pages at the Illinois Student Assistance Commission (ISAC) website (isac.org).
This message provides information regarding the 2020-21 payment cycle for the Monetary Award Program (MAP), the Minority Teachers of Illinois (MTI) Scholarship Program and the Golden Apple Scholars of Illinois Program.
2020-21 MAP First-Term Payment Requests Being Accepted
(Due December 11, 2020)
Effective today (Wednesday, September 9, 2020), ISAC has initiated the 2020-21 MAP payment cycle by allowing first-term payment requests (i.e., claims) to be submitted. Colleges may now submit first-term claims by accessing the MAP system, as well as by File Transfer Protocol (FTP). From this point forward, first-term payment requests will be processed on a nightly basis as they are received from colleges, and then submitted to the State Comptroller for payment per standard operating procedures.
In order to be considered timely, 2020-21 MAP first-term claims must be submitted on or before Friday, December 11, 2020.
- When preparing 2020-21 payment requests, remember that ISAC has suspended the announcement of MAP grants for all students whose initial 2020-21 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA®) is received by the Central Processing System (CPS), or whose initial Alternative Application for Illinois Financial Aid is received by ISAC, on or after July 1, 2020.
- A small number of early Alternative Application applicants recently received new ISAC ID numbers due to a change in the way ID numbers are assigned. These students can be identified by flags on the Alternative Application Student Record. Details were included in an August 21 e-mail message to financial aid directors from ISAC's School Services Department. Additionally, the 2020-21 Operational Guide for Alternative Application Processing contains updated information in the "ISAC Identification (ID) Numbers" section.
- Be sure to review the Payment Results/Exceptions report in the Reports section of the MAP system the day after submitting payment requests to see which requests, if any, did not process as expected.
- A valid ISAC Gift Assistance Programs (GAP) Access user ID and password are required in order to submit MAP files via ISAC's Secure File Transfer System (located at https://transfer.isac.org/). As a result, encryption (password protection) of files is not necessary.
- Additional information and instructions are provided in the FTP Process Using GAP Access Credentials Guide.
Resources Available Online
Details regarding the MAP payment processing cycle are available in:
- the "Payment" chapter of the MAP User Guide, which is located in the MAP Electronic Processing section of the Financial Aid Administrators Processes area; and,
- the MAP Payment section of the ISAC Gift Assistance Programs area.
2020-21 MTI & Golden Apple Payment Requests Being Accepted
- Because the Golden Apple Foundation completes certification for Golden Apple recipients, any adjustment to a student's academic level during the award year that would impact an award amount must be reported to the Foundation so that the student's certification record can be updated. Once the certification record is updated, the college will be able to submit a payment request for the updated award amount. The contact person at the Foundation is Cheryl Flores (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- MTI and Golden Apple results for payment requests received will be available via each program's online system (at GAP Access). After vouchers are generated, they are sent via e-mail to financial aid directors.
- Although specific payment deadlines have not been established for these programs, colleges are always encouraged to submit payment requests as soon as they are able to do so. Timely submission of payment requests and cancellations/adjustments allows ISAC staff to monitor remaining funds and award other students, as applicable.
More information regarding online payment functionality, including detailed instructions, is available at the following locations on ISAC's website:
GAP Access Reminders
- Please verify that the GAP Access Administrator at your college has established the appropriate MAP, MTI and Golden Apple system access level for all impacted staff. Instructions for establishing access to the appropriate system(s) may be found on the GAP Access page.
- Submitting payment requests in GAP Access is a two-step process, which involves generating the request (either individually or in a batch) and then submitting the request.
- The disbursement of funds will be processed by the State of Illinois Comptroller's Office. Refer to the State Comptroller's Website page, located within the Processes section of the Financial Aid Administrators area, for information on how to track payment.
- Because Payment Offset and Reconciliation procedures apply to MAP, MTI and Golden Apple, refund checks should not be sent for cancellations/adjustments made throughout the award year. Funds should only be returned to ISAC after a final reconciliation has been completed at the end of the regular school year.
- Payment functionality is available each day between 7 a.m. and 10 p.m. (CT).
- Payment requests submitted by 7 p.m. (CT) will be included in that night's processing, with payment results available the next business day.
- Results for payment requests submitted after 7 p.m. (CT) will be included in the following night's processing.
Watch for Future Updates
You are receiving this message because you registered for ISAC's e-Messaging service through one or more subscription groups for FAAs.
If you have any questions regarding this e-Message, please contact ISAC's School Services Department by calling toll free at 866.247.2172 or sending an e-mail message to email@example.com.