Loan Repayment/Forgiveness Programs
The State of Illinois offers assistance with student loan repayment for Illinois residents who qualify based on certain eligibility requirements. Typically, qualifying borrowers are those who have made an obligation to work in Illinois for a specific amount of time in a field that has experienced a shortage of workers (for example, teaching or nursing).
The number of awards made through programs administered by ISAC, as well as the individual dollar amount awarded, are subject to sufficient annual appropriations by the Illinois General Assembly and the Governor.
Illinois Loan Repayment/Forgiveness Programs
- Community Behavioral Health Care Professional Loan Repayment Program
- Illinois Teachers Loan Repayment Program
- John R. Justice Student Loan Repayment Program
- Nurse Educator Loan Repayment Program
- School and Municipal Social Work Shortage Loan Repayment Program
- Veterans' Home Medical Providers' Loan Repayment Program
In addition to these ISAC-administered programs, a borrower's entire student loan (or a portion of their obligation) may be cancelled (forgiven) by the federal government under certain circumstances. Federal programs include the Teacher Loan Forgiveness Program and other Student Loan Forgiveness programs.