2022-23 MAP Formula
Each year the Illinois Student Assistance Commission (ISAC) is responsible for adopting an allocation formula for the Monetary Award Program (MAP). The Commission approves a "start-up" formula that is used to begin making award announcements for students applying for the next academic year. Typically, once the Governor and General Assembly take final action on the budget, the Commission revisits the formula in June or July and takes action to approve a "recompute" formula.
Unless otherwise noted, all calculations should be rounded to the nearest whole dollar upward from .500 and downward from .499. Students who have been paid for 135 or more MAP Paid Credit Hours are not eligible for MAP.
On September 16, 2021, the Illinois Student Assistance Commission approved the 2022-23 (FY2023) MAP start-up formula, which is the same as the FY2022 recompute formula. The Commission approved FY2023 formula using the FY2010 tuition and fees, a living allowance of $5,020, and no reduction factor for 2022-23 academic year MAP grants, with a maximum award of $5,496. The 2022-23 MAP start-up formula is outlined in the September 16 Agenda Book (Table 1 of Agenda Item 5).
- Use 2009-10 reported tuition and fees at all institutions, assessed at 100 percent.
- Use one living allowance for all applicants, set to $5,020.
- Use 80 percent of Pell Grant eligibility as determined by the 2009-10 Pell Grant Payment Schedule, which contains a $5,350 maximum.
- Calculate the ISAC adjusted EFC by inflating the Federal EFC.
Adjusted Dependent Students’ Parent Contribution:
Adjustment Factor = [PC/11,000 + 1.10] rounded to 2 decimal places
Adjusted PC = PC x Adjustment Factor
Adjusted EFC = Adjusted PC + highest of Student Contribution of self-help expectation
Adjusted Independent Student Contribution:
Adjustment Factor = [EFC/11,000 + 1.10] rounded to 2 decimal places
Adjusted EFC = EFC x Adjustment Factor or self-help expectation
- Use a minimum self-help expectation of $1,800 for all students.
- Set the maximum award equal to the lesser of $5,496 or the tuition and mandatory fees specified in the budget. Set the minimum to $300; round maximum eligibility in $150 increments to calculate partial awards.
- Applicants with an EFC of $9,000 or above are not eligible.
- If determined necessary after first-term claims are received, either release some suspended applications to spend as much of the appropriation without exceeding it OR reduce second- and third-term awards to stay within the appropriation.
- Students who have used 135 or more MAP paid credit hours are not eligible for MAP.