Nurse Educator Loan Repayment Program
(last updated June 26, 2020)
The number of awards made through this program, as well as the individual dollar amount awarded, are subject to sufficient annual appropriations by the Illinois General Assembly and the Governor.
Fiscal Year 2021
The 2021 fiscal year (July 1, 2020-June 30, 2021) appropriation for the Nurse Educator Loan Repayment Program is $264,000. The 2021 fiscal year application is anticipated to be available to download and print by mid-July of 2020.
Fiscal Year 2020
The 2020 fiscal year (July 1, 2019-June 30, 2020) appropriation for the Nurse Educator Loan Repayment Program is $264,000.
The 2019-20 Nurse Educator Loan Repayment Program application is no longer being accepted for the 2019-20 academic year.
In an effort to address the shortage of nurses and the lack of instructors to staff courses teaching nursing in Illinois, the Nurse Educator Loan Repayment Program encourages longevity and career change opportunities. The program is intended as an incentive to nurse educators to maintain their teaching careers within the State of Illinois. The annual awards to qualified nurse educators may be up to $5,000 (based on the borrower’s remaining balance on eligible educational loans) to repay their student loan debt, and may be received for up to a maximum of four years.
In order to qualify for the Nurse Educator Loan Repayment Program, applicants must:
- be a U.S. citizen or an eligible non-citizen; (FSA Handbook Volume 1, chapter 2)
- be an Illinois resident;
- have an outstanding balance due on an eligible educational loan (includes Stafford Loans, Graduate PLUS Loans, consolidation loans, nursing student loans, Supplemental Loans for Students, alternative loans, and other types of government and institutional loans used for nursing education expenses);
- be a nurse educator who meets licensing requirements of the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation;
- Meet the following nursing instruction requirements:
- If a first-time recipient, have taught for at least 12 consecutive months prior to the date of application in an approved program of professional or practical nursing education in Illinois, or
- If other than a first-time recipient, fulfill a separate 12 consecutive month period of teaching in an approved program of professional or practical nursing education in Illinois for each subsequent award received
- not be in default on any federal guaranteed educational loan, nor owe a refund on any scholarship or grant program administered by the Illinois Student Assistance Commission (ISAC).
All applicants must submit a complete Nurse Educator Loan Repayment application to ISAC each academic year. The Nurse Educator Loan Repayment application is available to print from this website and at all approved Illinois institutions that have practical or professional nursing programs.
Applicants must complete all sections of the application and include the following documentation, as listed in section 3.
- A letter from the employer verifying that the applicant worked as a nurse educator instructing practical or professional nurses in an approved Illinois institution for at least 12 consecutive months prior to the date of this application
- A copy of the statement from the institution(s) currently holding the eligible loan(s) that shows the outstanding balance on the account to which these proceeds are to be applied
- If the applicant is a prior recipient, a copy of the payment history from the last institution(s) to which the Nurse Educator Loan Repayment proceeds were paid. The Nurse Educator Loan Repayment payment transaction must be clearly identified
If the application is incomplete, a letter will be sent to the applicant to request the missing information. Processing cannot take place prior to the date a complete application is received in ISAC's Deerfield office.
Renewal applicants must submit an application each year, and may also be required to submit a history of prior awards in order to demonstrate that program proceeds were used for eligible educational loans.
The Nurse Educator Loan Repayment application and required documentation are to be returned to:
Illinois Student Assistance Commission
1755 Lake Cook Road
Recipients are selected from among qualified new and renewal applicants. The total number of awards each year is contingent upon available funding. If funding in any given year is insufficient to pay all eligible applicants, awarding will be based on the date the complete application (with all required documentation) is received at ISAC's Deerfield office. Preference may be given to renewal applicants provided that the recipient continues to meet the eligibility requirements.
The award amount is based on the applicant's remaining balance on eligible education loans, not to exceed $5,000 per year. Proceeds will be remitted directly to the holder/servicer/lender of the loan(s) to be repaid.
In order to qualify for this program, an applicant must meet the nursing instruction requirements (outlined in the Eligibility section) in an approved program of professional or practical nursing education in Illinois.