JB Pritzker, Governor, State of Illinois

Cancellation/Discharge of Non-Stafford Loans

Note that details provided on this page reference older loans made under the Federal Family Education Loan Program (FFELP). All new federal student loans come directly from the U.S. Department of Education (ED) under the William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan Program (Federal Direct Loans). For information regarding Federal Direct Loans, refer to the Loans page of ED's Federal Student Aid website or contact the college's financial aid office.

You may have borrowed loans other than through the Federal Stafford Loan Program to help pay for your college education. For example, you might be a Federal PLUS loan, Federal Perkins loan or alternative loan borrower.

Information regarding forgiveness of a Federal PLUS loan is located within the Repaying Your Student Loans section.

A Federal Perkins loan may be cancelled in part or whole under certain conditions. Loan cancellations, forgiveness or discharge is granted by the U.S. Department of Education.

Some alternative loans have flexible repayment options. Each lender's policy is different, so check with the holder of your loan to determine what options are available to you.