2021-22 State Scholar Announcements
Unless otherwise noted, links in this message are to corresponding pages at the Illinois Student Assistance Commission (ISAC) website (isac.org).
After a months-long delay because of the COVID-19 pandemic, ISAC is pleased to announce that more than 16,600 qualified Illinois high school students have been designated as 2021-22 State Scholars. Information about the announcement process is below. You may either scroll through the remainder of this message, or click on the appropriate link(s) to go directly to a specific section:
|Illinois State Scholar Badges
|Appeals Due by June 11, 2021
- The announcement of 2021-22 State Scholars took place earlier today (April 12, 2021).
- Individual congratulatory letters have been mailed directly to Scholars. You may view a sample of the congratulatory letter in the ISAC Gift Assistance Programs area of the website.
- ISAC will print and mail Certificates of Achievement to high schools that did not opt to download and print the certificates via the State Scholar Program (SSP) system. Instructions for downloading and printing Certificates of Achievement are provided in the SSP File Upload User Guide.
- High schools will be able to print duplicate copies of certificates when they are needed, rather than requesting them from ISAC.
- Instructions for generating reports of the school's State Scholar Finalists and Non-Finalists in the SSP system are provided in the SSP Online Processing User Guide.
- Now that 2021-22 State Scholars have been announced, corrections to already-submitted data must be submitted as follows:
- Changes (for example, correcting the spelling of a name, or reporting that a student was designated as a State Scholar in error) must be submitted in writing to ISAC's School Services Department via a fax to 847.831.8549, via an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org, or via regular mail to our Deerfield address.
Included in the congratulatory letter is information regarding a digital Illinois State Scholar badge issued by ISAC. The badge can be displayed on a State Scholar's online profiles and social media accounts, and shared with high school counselors, prospective colleges, employers, family members and others. Scholars may access their badges by visiting the ISAC Student Portal and then following the on-screen prompts. Complete instructions are available via the ISAC website at isac.org/SSPbadge.
Validating a Badge
Those with whom a Scholar shares their badge may wish to validate its authenticity. In order for them to do so, the Scholar will need to provide either a link (URL) to the badge or the badge ID.
- If the link (URL) has been provided: click on the link, which will launch the Badge Verification screen. The badge ID will automatically be populated, so they only need to click on "Check Badge ID."
- To verify a badge without the link (URL): the person will need to access the State Scholar Program Badge area (located within the Toolbox section of the ISAC Student Portal), click on "Badge Verification," enter the Scholar's badge ID, and then click on "Check Badge ID."
A validated badge will display "Badge ID is valid for: (FIRST NAME) (LAST NAME)."
- If a high school counselor feels that a student should have been designated as a State Scholar and was not, ISAC must receive a letter of appeal from the student and/or high school on or before the appeal deadline.
- The deadline to submit 2021-22 State Scholar appeals is Friday, June 11, 2021.
- Details regarding the appeals process are provided at the Appeals page of the ISAC Gift Assistance Programs area.
- As you counsel students or parents with questions regarding the selection process, you may choose to share with them the student's GPA or class rank data that the high school submitted to ISAC, and explain how that information factors into the eligibility formula. An updated Formula Used to Determine State Scholar Eligibility resource may be accessed via the State Scholar Program page that is located within the Before College area of the Students & Parents section, under College and Career Exploration and Planning.
- A listing of all 2021-22 State Scholars soon will be available at ISAC's website (anticipated for mid-April).
- A sample press release, which can further assist schools in announcing State Scholars, also soon will be provided at the ISAC website.
You are receiving this message because you registered for ISAC's e-Messaging service through one or more subscription groups for Counselors.
If you have any questions regarding this e-Message, please contact ISAC's School Services Department by calling toll free at 866.247.2172 or sending an e-mail message to email@example.com.