Skip to Content Bruce Rauner, Governor, State of Illinois

Closed Colleges Information

Students who attended the recently closed ITT Technical Institute and are seeking guidance are encouraged to refer to the U.S. Department of Education, the Illinois Board of Higher Education, the Illinois Community College Board and the information on this page.

ITT Technical Institute transcripts can be requested online at, and questions for ITT Technical Institute may be directed to

Students affected by the closing of for-profit institutions, including ITT Technical Institute, can access the website to obtain free academic and financial counseling.  Students will enter their information and ask to be contacted by telephone, e-mail or text.  Responses are expected to take 7 – 10 business days, but some may be quicker. 

If your school closed while you were enrolled, on an approved leave of absence, or within 120 days after you officially withdrew, your student loan(s) may be eligible for cancellation/discharge.

In order to determine whether you are eligible for loan discharge, you must submit the Loan Discharge Application: School Closure, which can be obtained from the U.S. Department of Education’s (ED) website or from your lender/servicer. The application must be accompanied by documentation to prove that you were in attendance within 90 days before the school’s closure.

Acceptable documentation could include, but is not limited to, any of the following:  transcript from the school; attendance records; report card or grade report; dated course work; or other documentation that would establish attendance at the school within the prescribed time period.


Transcripts for students who were enrolled at Illinois schools that closed can be obtained by contacting the Illinois Board of Higher Education, as noted below. This includes transcripts for closed private vocational/technical schools and degree-granting institutions.  :

Illinois Board of Higher Education (IBHE)
Closed School Records
1 N. Old State Capitol Plaza, Suite 333
Springfield, IL  62701-1377
Phone:  217.782.2551
Fax:  217.782.8548

All requests must be in writing. Please contact IBHE to determine the information you will need to include in your request.