Golden Apple Scholars Application, Certification and Award Determination
Any Illinois high school student who is interested in a teaching career is eligible for the Golden Apple Scholars of Illinois program. Applications for the program are accepted and processed by the Golden Apple Foundation. Refer to the Golden Apple Foundation website for eligibility requirements, the online application and deadline dates.
The list of eligible applicants provided to ISAC by the Golden Apple Foundation will display on the Student List Eligibility View: screen, which is in the same format as all other ISAC administered program administered via the G AP Access system.
An Initial Certification record is created in the Golden Apple system when a list of applicants is provided to ISAC by the Golden Apple Foundation. The Golden Apple Foundation will certify an applicant’s eligibility each term. Colleges can view the status of an applicant on the Student Eligibility List: View screen.
Colleges are not responsible for certifying initial eligibility. Beginning in the 2019-20 academic year, the college’s role will start with payment processing. If the applicant meets all the eligibility criteria, the applicant is awarded at the time a record is certified.
When the Golden Apple Foundation certifies that an applicant is eligible to receive a scholarship, an award will display on the Student Eligibility List: View screen.
The amount of each award is determined by the applicant's academic level. Award amounts are as follows:
- The maximum annual award for freshmen and sophomores is $2,500.
- Semester schools will receive $1,250 per term.
- Quarter schools will receive $834 for the first quarter, $833 for the second quarter, and $833 for the third quarter per term.
- The maximum annual award for juniors and seniors is $5,000.
- Semester schools will receive $2,500 per term.
- Quarter schools will receive $1,667 for the first quarter, $1,667 for the second quarter, and $1,666 for the third quarter per term.
Communication to applicants regarding their award status is done by the Golden Apple Foundation.