Illinois and Federal Financial Aid Programs
The number of scholarships and grants made through programs administered by ISAC, as well as the individual dollar amount awarded, are subject to sufficient annual appropriations by the Illinois General Assembly and the Governor.
The State of Illinois has many programs and services that deliver financial aid to students in Illinois. Below are some of the state financial aid programs that, dependent upon annual appropriations (i.e., funding levels), may be available. Additionally, a number of financial aid programs are offered by the federal government, and they are listed here, along with links to their descriptions. Be sure to research your options before finalizing your financial aid path. Also, see the links below for more information about financial aid and to determine the status of funding levels for individual programs during a specific academic year.
Note: Programs denoted below by an asterisk (*) are available to undergraduate students only; a double asterisk (**) indicates programs for graduate students only. All other programs are for both undergraduate and graduate students.
- Minority Teachers of Illinois (MTI) Scholarship Program
- Illinois Special Education Teacher Tuition Waiver (SETTW) Program
- Golden Apple Scholars of Illinois *
- MIA/POW Scholarship
- Nursing Education Scholarship Program
Grants and Work-Study
- Federal Pell Grant *
- Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG) *
- Federal Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant
- Federal Work-Study
- Monetary Award Program (MAP) *
- Illinois National Guard (ING) Grant Program
- Illinois Veteran Grant (IVG) Program
- Grant Program for Dependents of Police or Fire Officers
- Grant Program for Dependents of Correctional Officers
- Higher Education License Plate (HELP) Program *
Many other scholarships and grants are available, as well. The Internet is a great resource when searching for financial aid.
529 College Prepaid Tuition and Savings Programs
- Federal Perkins Loan
- Federal Stafford Loan Program
- Federal PLUS Loan Program (for parents* and for graduate or professional students **)
- Alternative Loans
Loan Repayment/Forgiveness Programs
- Illinois Teachers Loan Repayment Program
- John R. Justice Student Loan Repayment Program
- Nurse Educator Loan Repayment Program
- Public Interest Attorney Loan Repayment Assistance Program
- Veterans' Home Nurse Loan Repayment Program
Also sponsored by the State of Illinois:
Illinois College Savings Bonds (College Savings Bonds are tax-exempt, zero-coupon bonds issued by the State of Illinois. They provide individual investors with long-term investments to help fund college expenses.)
The Illinois Department of Children & Family Services (DCFS) administers several programs, including the Education & Training Voucher Program, Community College Payment Program, Youth in College/Vocational Training Program and Scholarship Program, which provide postsecondary education funding sources for students associated with DCFS.
More links for financial aid information:
- Federal Student Aid's StudentAid.gov For information about financial assistance programs.
- finaid.org For information about financial aid.
- MappingYourFuture.org For information about paying for college.
- collegeboard.org To help you prepare for the cost of college.
- Funding Your Education: The Guide to Federal Student Aid For information on financial aid and how to apply for it.
- act.org For help getting into college