A total of 10 scholarships will be awarded each year: two each for eligible applicants in their first year, second year, third year and fourth year; the remaining two may be awarded to students in any academic year. The total number of scholarships actually awarded in any given year is contingent upon available funding.
If the number of applicants exceeds the number of scholarships to be awarded in an academic year, priority will be given to students demonstrating exceptional merit and who are in financial need based on a combination of the following criteria:
- cumulative grade point averages, prioritized from the highest to the lowest. All grade point averages will be converted to a four-point scale; and
- Expected Family Contribution (EFC) from the lowest to the highest; and
- recipients of assistance under the Optometric Education Scholarship Program during the previous academic year shall receive first priority consideration provided the student:
- maintains his or her status as a qualified applicant;
- maintains satisfactory academic progress as determined by the institution; and
- submits an application on a timely basis.
If all other criteria are equal, priority consideration will be given to the qualified applicant who submitted his or her completed application on the earliest date.
Scholarships are applicable only to tuition and mandatory fees for two semesters or three quarters. Award amounts are to be determined by the institution and will be the lesser of $5,000 or tuition and mandatory fees. A recipient may receive the equivalent of 8 semesters/12 quarters of scholarship assistance under this program.
The total amount of Optometric Education Scholarship assistance awarded to a qualified applicant in any given year, when added to other financial aid available to the qualified applicant for that year, can not exceed the cost of attendance.