JB Pritzker, Governor, State of Illinois

Citizenship Requirements

Eligibility for Federal Programs

A student must be a citizen or eligible non-citizen to be eligible for federal financial aid programs, as determined by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) in the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). The general requirement for eligible non-citizens is that they be in the U.S. for other than a temporary purpose with the intention of being a citizen or lawful permanent resident. The specific eligible statuses are:

  • U.S. citizen or national;
  • U.S. permanent resident;
  • Citizens of the Freely Associated States: the Federated States of Micronesia and the republics of Palau and the Marshall Islands; and
  • Other eligible non-citizens.

The term “U.S. Citizen” includes citizens of the 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, and the Northern Mariana Islands. All U.S. citizens are considered to be U.S. nationals. However, not all nationals are U.S. citizens: natives of American Samoa and Swain's Island are not U.S. citizens, but are nationals and therefore may receive federal financial aid.

A definition of "eligible non-citizen" is provided at the Eligibility for Non-U.S. Citizens page of the Federal Student Aid website. See our Information for Non-Eligible Noncitizens for more information.

Eligibility for State of Illinois Programs

Effective January 1, 2020, students who are unable to receive federal financial aid might qualify to apply or receive consideration for student aid or benefits funded or administered by the State of Illinois, any State of Illinois agency, or any public institution of higher learning in Illinois. More information is available at the Retention of Illinois Students & Equity (RISE) Act page of this website.

Replacing Lost DHS Documents

If a student cannot locate official USCIS documentation, the student must request that the documents be replaced because non-citizens who are 18 years and older must have immigration documentation in their possession at all times while in the United States. Requests for replacement documents should be made to the USCIS District Office that issued the original documents.

If a student is in urgent need of the documents, the Freedom of Information Act allows the student to obtain photocopies of the documentation. The student may Request Records through the Freedom of Information Act or Privacy Act or simply send a letter of request to the appropriate district office.

A complete list of USCIS offices is available on the USCIS website, via the Find a USCIS Office page.