Illinois and Federal Financial Aid Programs
The number of scholarships and grants made through programs administered by ISAC, as well as the individual dollar amount awarded, are subject to sufficient annual appropriations by the Illinois General Assembly and the Governor.
The State of Illinois has many programs and services that deliver financial aid to students in Illinois. Below are some of the state financial aid programs that, dependent upon annual appropriations (i.e., funding levels), may be available. Additionally, a number of financial aid programs are offered by the federal government, and they are listed here, along with links to their descriptions. Be sure to research your options before finalizing your financial aid path. Also, see the links below for more information about financial aid and to determine the status of funding levels for individual programs during a specific academic year.
Note: Programs denoted below by an asterisk (*) are available to undergraduate students only; a double asterisk (**) indicates programs for graduate students only. All other programs are for both undergraduate and graduate students.
- Minority Teachers of Illinois (MTI) Scholarship Program
- Illinois Special Education Teacher Tuition Waiver (SETTW) Program
- Golden Apple Scholars of Illinois *
- MIA/POW Scholarship
- Nursing Education Scholarship Program
Grants and Work-Study
- Federal Pell Grant*
- Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG)*
- Federal Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant
- Federal Work-Study
- Monetary Award Program (MAP)*
- Illinois National Guard (ING) Grant Program
- Illinois Veteran Grant (IVG) Program
- Grant Program for Dependents of Police or Fire Officers
- Grant Program for Dependents of Correctional Officers
- Grant Program for Exonerees
- Higher Education License Plate (HELP) Program*
- AIM HIGH Grant Pilot Program*
Many other scholarships and grants are available, as well. The Internet is a great resource when searching for financial aid.
529 College Prepaid Tuition and Savings Programs
- Federal Perkins Loan
- Federal Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans
- Federal PLUS Loan Program (for parents* and for graduate or professional students **)
- Alternative Loans
Loan Repayment/Forgiveness Programs
- Illinois Teachers Loan Repayment Program
- John R. Justice Student Loan Repayment Program
- Nurse Educator Loan Repayment Program
- Veterans' Home Medical Providers' Loan Repayment Program
More links for financial aid information:
- Federal Student Aid's StudentAid.gov For information about financial assistance programs.
- finaid.org For information about financial aid.
- MappingYourFuture.org For information about paying for college.
- collegeboard.org To help you prepare for the cost of college.
- Do You Need Money for College or Career School? Apply for Federal Student Aid
- act.org For help getting into college