Post-Master of Social Work School Social Work Professional Educator License Scholarship Program
The Post-Master of Social Work School Social Work Professional Educator License Scholarship Program provides scholarship assistance to licensed social workers with master's degrees in social work who wish to obtain an Illinois Professional Educator License with an Endorsement in School Social Work. The program was designed to encourage students to work as social workers in Illinois schools and to provide minority children with access to a greater number of positive minority role models, more reflective of the diversity of Illinois students. Each scholarship pays tuition and mandatory fee costs for an academic year (including summer) at Illinois public universities, with priority given to minority applicants. A total of up to 250 scholarships may be awarded each year.
As part of the application process, you must agree to the terms and conditions outlined in the Application/Promissory Note. By receiving this scholarship, you must work as a social worker in an Illinois school. If this commitment is not fulfilled, the scholarship converts to a loan, and you must repay the entire amount, plus interest.
To be eligible, you must:
- be a U.S. citizen or an eligible non-citizen or meet the “undocumented student” criteria of the RISE Act
- hold a valid Illinois clinical social work license or social work license
- have obtained a master’s degree in social work from an approved program
- take courses to obtain an Illinois Professional Educator License with an Endorsement in School Social Work
- enroll or be accepted for enrollment, on a full- or part-time basis (at least 3 hours), at the University of Illinois, Southern Illinois University, Chicago State University, Eastern Illinois University, Governors State University, Illinois State University, Northeastern Illinois University, Northern Illinois University or Western Illinois University (providing the institution offers post-master social work courses leading to an Illinois Professional Educator License with an Endorsement in School Social Work. Access the list of participating schools here.)
- maintain satisfactory academic progress, as determined by your college
- establish satisfactory repayment arrangements if you are in default on any federal student loan.
How to Apply
The 2022-23 Post-Master of Social Work School Social Work Professional Educator License Scholarship Program Application/Promissory Note is accessed online via the Program Applications & Status Checks area of the Student Portal. The online application has built-in edits to prevent errors, and we will send immediate confirmation to your e-mail address that your application has been received. If your application, including required documentation, is incomplete, you will receive a letter from ISAC explaining the reason(s) and advising how to resolve the issue. Qualified applicants will be sent a Notice of Eligibility letter from ISAC.
For priority consideration, your complete application must have been electronically submitted on or before February 28, 2023. Untimely applications (i.e., those received after the priority consideration date) will continue to be considered for as long as funding remains available after all timely, qualified applicants have been awarded. The 2022-23 application allows students to apply for awards to cover the entire 2022-23 academic year.
How Funds Are Disbursed
ISAC works with the college to disburse funds for this program. The college certifies student eligibility and then – after the application deadline has passed for each term – submits a payment request on behalf of the student. ISAC processes the payment request and submits the information to the State Comptroller's Office. Dependent on the level of State of Illinois funding at the time of the request, the amount of time it takes for funds to arrive at the college can vary anywhere from a few weeks to a few months.
Depending on the college, students may be responsible for payment until program funds are received. Qualified applicants who are awaiting receipt of funds from this program should contact the Financial Aid Office or Business Office to determine the college's policy.
Note that ISAC routinely updates this section as new information becomes available. Be sure to check back periodically for the current processing status.
For the 2022-23 Academic Year
(last updated on March 1, 2023):
The application for the 2022-23 Post-Master of Social Work School Social Work Professional Educator License Scholarship Program is available online via the Program Applications & Status Checks area of the ISAC Student Portal.
The priority application consideration date for the 2022-23 academic year was February 28, 2023. Complete applications submitted after that date will be considered only if available funding remains after all timely complete applicants have been awarded.
Correspondence regarding the status of your application will be mailed to you after the date your application is received at ISAC.