ING Grant Electronic Processing
The Illinois National Guard (ING) Grant program is processed through ISAC’s Gift Assistance Program (GAP) Access portal. When a student submits an ING Grant Application to ISAC, a record is added to the school’s database in the ING system that can be viewed by the school on the ING Student List Eligibility: View which displays in the same format as is used in the MAP program. Colleges can then create and submit benefit requests for eligible applicants in the same manner as MAP claims. Refer the ING Grant User Guide section for details regarding Student Eligibility and Benefit Usage Processing.
Due to the confidential nature of the student-specific data involved, a secure authentication process is required before access to the ING Grant system can be granted. All users, not just those who work in the financial aid office, need a valid GAP Access ID and password (for example, users who need access to the FTP site). ISAC will rely on a contact person, or Administrator, at each institution to authorize users at his/her school. Refer to the GAP Access User Guide for general questions, user name and password maintenance, and technical information about GAP Access. Contact a School Services Representative with questions that are not addressed in the Guide.
The financial aid director is the primary GAP Access Administrator, however, the director may select others to act as GAP Access Administrators. GAP Access Administrators are responsible for monitoring passwords, security and staff access to the ING Grant system. The financial aid director should select the administrators based on the confidential nature of, and the access to student data.
To access ING Grant records:
- sign on to the GAP Access system and select ‘ING” from the blue ribbon across the top of the screen;
- select the academic year;
- select one of the tabs at the top of the ING screen to access any of the functions; i.e., select the “Student” Tab to access the Student List Eligibility: View.
The ING Grant system is available each day between 7 a.m. and 10 p.m. (CT).
The ING Grant User Guide is broken down into smaller PDF chapters by function, which can be viewed online, printed or saved to your computer for future reference. The user guide provides detailed information about ING Grant functions and processing routines.
File specifications pertinent to colleges utilizing the file extraction feature of the ING Grant system, or sending ING Grant term benefits used to ISAC via File Transfer Protocol (FTP) are available on the Electronic Tools page.
- The ING system via GAP Access works best using Internet Explorer 8.0 or higher.
- Adjust the screen resolution if needed.
- For optimum printing of screens, set the printing option to landscape.
- Enter a date range to reduce the processing time of an extraction file. Entering a date range means fewer records are included, thus reducing the amount of time it will take to process the file; and
- Schedule reports to run when ING is not needed for other functions (for example at the end of the day or during off-peak hours).