JB Pritzker, Governor, State of Illinois

MAP Payment

Enrollment Guidelines
Eligible Coursework
MAP Payment Offset & Reconciliation

MAP grants are paid directly to the approved institution of record which certified the applicant's eligibility. ISAC authorizes a voucher in the amount of the payment claim and submits it to the State Comptroller's Office which issues payment to the institution. Schools may begin requesting payments for MAP 10 days before the beginning of the semester. Payment of grant benefits is requested by the school through ISAC and sent by the State Comptroller directly to the institution.

Schools receive award announcements via the MAP system on all SAR transactions, which assume full-time enrollment. When students enroll less than full time, payment adjustments are based on the most recently announced award.

Enrollment Guidelines

Students must be enrolled during the term to receive MAP funds, and must be enrolled for the equivalent of at least 15 credit hours to receive the maximum award amount for which they qualify each term. The school certifies an applicant's eligibility according to the information available when MAP payment is requested. If a student's credit hour enrollment decreases, the school can only request payment up to the amount of actual tuition and fee expenses incurred. If a student withdraws after the expiration of the tuition refund/withdrawal adjustment period, the student may receive MAP payment for tuition and fees incurred up to the term award provided the school's tuition refund policy indicates the student has incurred charges in the amount of the claim.

Eligible Coursework

Remedial Courses - Up to one year of remedial course work (30 semester hours or 45 quarter hours) is eligible for MAP payment if the student is accepted into an eligible degree or certificate program and is taking the remedial course(s) as part of that program.

Repeat Courses - The repeat rule is applicable to coursework that begins on or after July 1, 2012. Schools are not required to go back further than July 1, 2012 to determine repeat courses. The MAP grant may be used by students repeating previously passed courses for the first time. The MAP grant may not be used for courses that a student has previously passed two or more times. Prior to the 2012-13 academic year, repeat courses were eligible for MAP Payment as long as a student met all other eligibility requirements.

Correspondence and Distance Education Courses - are eligible for MAP as long as the student is enrolled in an eligible degree or certificate program and is eligible to receive Title IV financial aid.

Payment Offset and Reconciliation

Information about the MAP payment offset process and reconciliation is located in the Refunds and Unpaid Claims section in the Processes area.